The museum is situated in Eleftherias square opposite the local fruit market. Its architecture is simple and was purposefully built with rooms laid out in such a way so as to display the works of art discovered.
The Archaeological Museum of Kos is housed in a nice two-storey building with three entrances topped by arches. Several sculptures from the excavations carried out by Italians after the strong earthquake of 1933 are displayed in three rooms surrounding the atrium, which is decorated with the excellent mosaic presenting the arrival of Aesculapius at Kos. Access to the atrium is possible via an anti-chamber. The first floor has been reserved for the pottery collection, but it is closed to public. Several of the mosaic pavements, which should be displayed in the museum are actually found at Rhodes, as Italians, in late 1930s’ had transported them there in order to decorate the famous Palace of the Great Master, which was then being restored.
There are three main rooms, North , East and West set around the central vestibule which is reachable from the entrance hall. The well placed exhibits stand on round rectangular and crucible style altars. There are large heads of Dimitra, Agripinas and the young Elasonos from the 1st century AD as well as statues of a horse and lion.
In the archaeological museum in Kos city many well-preserved statues can be seen and a few mosaics. Of great interest is a mosaic of the arrival of Asklepios on Kos, with Hippocrates to the left, and an inhabitant of Kos to the right.
The mosaic depicting the arrival of Asklepios on Kos.
Statue of Dionysos in kos museum.
Statue of Mercurius in kos museum.
Statue of Diana in kos museum .
Statue of Hygieia in kos museum.