The monastery of Panormitis in symi is dedicated to Archangel Michael. The time of its construction is known but the latest extensions, according to the wall-up inscription on the church entrance, took place in 1783.
The interior is covered with Byzantine murals made by the native hagiographers Nikitas and Michaelos Karakostis. What is impressive is the carved icon screen, hung with offerings and an all of gold icon of the Saint. In the vestry except the sacerdotal vestments, the small icons, the silver and gold objects, there are also kept the offerings which the sailors put in the bottles, that were finally washed ashore by the sea. In the library of the monastery there are many books and codes in manuscript. During the 2nd World War the monks decisively helped the Greeks and the allies.
The Symians call the Saint a thief, because whenever a believer fails to attribute him an offering, the Saint gets it in any way. The natives’ beliefs and legends never end. The monastery can put up 500 people in its hostel. The access to the monastery is achieved by caique (1 hour) or by car. Near Panormitis there is the beautiful site of Faneromeni (15 min on foot).
The monastery in Panormitis
The monastery of the Grand Saviour monastery dependency on Panormitis is a fortification, defensive Byzantine building in an area planted all over with cypress-trees and pine-trees. The oil paintings of the church were made towards the close of the 18th century. There are enough cells for staying overnight. Some remnants of the Pelasgian Walls are found on the small island of Seskli, opposite Panormitis, in the South (it belongs to the monastery)