The village is situated at a valley that is useful for passing from the eastern villages to the south-eastern ward and the interior of the island.
From there also passes the central route of Rhodes-Kattavias.
It is possible that Pylonas - meaning "Gate" in Greek - took its name from this passage that looks like a gate. Pylonas in ancient years was located in the ambits of the Lindos municipality. In an inscription of Kamirou that contains names of tribes and patronymics, is referred (as Pylloneion Patrai) with five patronymics "Maionidai, Megandreios, Euanaktidioi, Agathovoulidai, Nikoneioi".
In the Middle Ages the village is mentioned with its name(Pylonas) in two enactments that were edited by great wizards of Saint John. With those edicts that determine in which fortresses should the inhabitants get into in the case of hostile attacks. The first was published from the great magician Orsini in 1474 and the second from the great magician Pier D. Aoubousous in 1479. In the village apart from the two modern churches that exist (the one in the graveyard and the modern inside the village) two chapels of the 15th century are redeemed, the Evangelism and Saint George.
From those two the most remarkable is the Evangelism since it preserves significant wall-paintings. The temple has been built and painted in the beginning of the 15th century.
The year 1926 the vast expansion from the west-ward took place. The wall-paintings of the temple are preserved in quite a good condition, belong to the Byzantine style but with many elements from the Gothic art of the 14th century.
In the sacred temple bare relics are preserved from the Analypsis. In the main temple the scenes from the Dodekalogous are redeemed in a very good condition (the Evangelism,Christ’s Birth,Christening, Metamorphosis Crucifixion, Resurrection) and two pictures from the life of Virgin Mary.
The church of Saint George must have been built in the 15th century but unfortunately there are only least relics preserved. Trough the excavations that took place in 1993 in the Aspropylia region of Pylonas five (5) archaeological graves of the 12th century of Mycenaean Era were found.
The findings are unique of their kind and are of great archaeological value. These are found in the Rhodesian Museum and will be exposed in public soon.
The excavations in the area where the graves are will start again soon. The opinion of the archaeologists is that more graves will be found of great archaeological value.
In the year 1925 in the area of Kardamis of Pylonas a grave of the 12th century was found but the valuable findings had been taken by Italian soldiers (probably transferred to Italy).
NEW MYCENAEAN CEMETERY OF PYLONA - RHODOS
The first Mycenaean findings in the village of Pylonas were found by Italian archaeologists in 1929 in the Ampelia-Plakoto region, that a carved vaulted grave appeared. The grave contained pottery and cuprous guns and is dated back at the end of the 13th century and the 12th century BC (approx. 1180-1060).
The discovery of the new Mycenaean cemetery of Pylonas in the Aspropylaia, northwards of the village happened accidentally, in 1993 during the work with a mechanical excavator in the south side of the hill. The same year two huge graves were scooped out and the compartment of the grave No2 as well. In 1994 the only grave of the north hillside was found and in 1995 the other two compartments of the triple grave No2 were dug out.
This year, the exploration gave a double grave (with two compartments) at the eastern side of the hill together with a vast grave in the southwestern side of the cemetery.
The graves of the cemetery of the Aspropylaia have the ordinary shape of the Mycenaean graves, with quadrilaterals or irregularly round compartments, chiseled in the natural malm and rectangular entrances blocked with dry wall.
Most of them have big paths and are not stolen, but two of them were violated in the ancient years (2nd century BC - 1st century AC). In the one stolen compartment of the grave No5 afteroman burial was placed that ages from the coin that was found in 321-324 AC.
The majority of the pottery of the graveyard belong to ordinary shapes of the Mycenaean Era, which were placed on the grave full of offertories but also other were used during the burial.
Some of the findings in the graves are of great value.
Worth mentioned are the huge amphorae (used for storing wine but also oil), a few of which have remains of canopies, a firebrand for lighting of the interior of the grave(found on the grave No1), a fictile figurine that represents two figures on a chariot with umbel and a conical pot with a hub on the bottom and beautiful orientation that represents male godlike figure that holds and quells two cats.
The same kettle is also beautifully oriented.
From the rest objects we mention the cuprous weapon (sword, nibs from spears), the cuprous tools (ax, knife, palette knifes), the cuprous rings and a variety of beads most of which are made of blue Mycenaean glass and some of gold.
The graves in the southeast side of the hill belong to the same complex of graves and date from the findings in the 14th century and the beginning of the 12th century BC (approx. 1400-1225), whereas the grave in the north side of the hill is posterior and dates from the findings of the 12th century (approx. 1180-1070).
Many findings appear to have introduced from the mainland of Greece through the transportation of goods.